Friday, July 4, 2008

First Home Study Visit

Well, I have been gone to Lincoln, Nebraska for a week of THESPIAN things. I took 40 kids to the International Thespian Convention-- whoo hoo. It was fun but I was ready to be back home. I told a couple of my students that I had begun the process and one actually cried she was so happy for me. My seniors have been watching me for 2 years try to get pregnant and they know how much having a child means to me. They were very very excited and I already have my first 20 babysitters lined up! :)

Tuesday I spent the day rearranging furniture. My grandmother died in November and my dad just went back to clean out her house. They brought me a chest of drawers and a vanity. I also got a new TV. I have determined that the bedroom I currently use as my "TV room" will become the baby's room. So I had to rearrange three rooms of things. I worked all day into the night to make it happen. My parents also gave me a crib that was my brother's son's. It is exciting. It is standing against the wall in the room. That means this is finally becoming REAL!!! Although I haven't put it together because I don't want to jinx it yet! ;)

Susie, my social worker, came over at 2:30PM. I handed her all the paperwork I have been collecting. The only thing I have left is my medical letter and my proof of employment letter. I already tried to get that but they called me Mr. Hann and they didn't notarize it. But once I do those two things I can start building my Dossier. I'm making copies of everything too so I think that will be easier once it starts. I was nervous I realized as the meeting started. Wondering are there things that people have said in the past that made the social worker deny adoption. But Susie was great and put me at ease. I am very excited to start. She also told me that someone brought home a 5 month old girl! That is so great. I'm thinking mine will be 7-9mons old. She asked questions like would I be open to a girl or siblings. We put on the paper work that I strongly desired a boy, but would be open to a girl. Just in case I fall in love with a girl! My mind is pretty set on a boy right now though.

I've set my next two appointments with Susie over the next two weeks. We will be done with our meetings by July 17. Then she goes to Disneyland and I go to Scotland with my students. When I get back, school starts and most of my paperwork will be complete. I am looking into starting my classes ASAP. This is so exciting!

6 comments:

The Harmonator! said...

Dear Ms. Hann,
I cannot even begin to describe my excitement for you and what your doing here. This is an amazing and beautiful act, and I couldn't be happier for you! I read your blog and it brought me to tears seeing as of how much you've been wanting a child, and now that your dream is finally becoming a reality, your giving a child their happy ending as well who is in need of a loving parent, as yourself. You have guided and taught children for years, and now that your going to have a child of your own, you will be a pro mom! :) I know you will be a wonderful mother. We all support you 110%! And again, I'm so proud to know someone like you Ms. Hann. I look up to you so incredibly much and I wish you all the best.

Yours truly,
Sarah Harmon

P.S.
I'm expecting a call for your future babysitting service! ;)

MOM said...

Perfection.
It feels like this once truly meant to be.
You are a mom. You have been a mom in one way or another to hundreds and hundreds of students.
( I was one of those kids )
You have shaped so many lives in so many ways. I know for sure that my life would have been so different if it wasn't for you. I can only imagine what an amazing Mom to this little boy...or girl...you will be. I can not wait.
I am so very, very happy for you.
~LOVE~

Rhias said...

Ms. Hann!!!!,

Thanks for sharing such a personal journey with all of us. You have all of our support and love and we are really proud of you!

-Jon

bariejoy said...

Dear Shawn,
Congratulations on your pregnancy. I know how very much you want a baby of your own. Maybe your child was conceived when you were trying to conceive yourself and this is God's way of bringing the two of you together. I know that your child will be so lucky to have a Mother who will never take him/her for granted and the blessings of such an incredible extended family.

love, barie

Unknown said...

Oh, Ms. Hann! I am so happy for you! Many people in my own life have been adopted or been affected by adoption and it really is a spiritual thing. Your baby is going to always know how much they are loved and wanted by you. I can't help thinking that it is meant to be. In China they say that an adopted baby and the adoptive mother have a thread of destiny that connects them always, and they believe that they were always meant for each other. I believe this too! I am so excited for you and the baby! :)



Love, Christina LaFon

Amy said...

Oh, my gosh!! These posts make me CRY!! Your students are amazing! I guess that's something they got from you. This blog is a great idea. I will check it often, so post a lot, okay? It will be great to look back on it a year from now, or for "little bit" to read one day and see how eager, excited, worried, even giddy, you were.