Saturday, July 5, 2008

I've got my reading list for a while

Today I ordered several books from an Amharic phrase book so I can start learning some words that my baby will know, to Ethiopian history/travel books, to books about adoption, mixed race families, and social attachment issues. I am very excited for the books to come! If anyone out there in blog land knows of great books on adoption to read, please post a comment and let me know. :)

Since it is the weekend and holiday I'm on hold waiting for my IAN rep to get back to me about specifics in paperwork I am needing to fill out.

I can't help my mind drifting to constantly thinking about the child that will become mine. He is probably being born this month. I am trying to understand his life now and why he will become an orphan. The circumstances that surround his eventual need for me in his life will shape him forever and I will have to try to help him understand the world and his life before me. I read a little about creating a lifebook for him. I am still investigating that idea. I think if I can educate myself about Ethiopian culture and issues that surround adopted kids I will be best prepared to help guide him and help give him answers to his questions as he grows up.

I am planning on recording the sounds in the orphanage when I am there. And asking his caregivers to sing any of the songs they may sing in the orphanage to me (and my laptop). I know that for a baby/toddler with all of the things in life drastically changing if I can provide one sense-- the sense of sound-- that can be familiar it might help keep a calming influence once we leave. And I will also take photos of his surroundings and caregivers and then put them on the wall around his crib. Ah, well. These are the thoughts that keep me up at night...

3 comments:

MOM said...

Look at you...already thinking like a mama.
Is it possible that I can tell you are glowing from your typed words?
Well...I am already impressed.

The Barr Family said...

Maybe you have stumbled on my list of books for an Ethiopian adoption on Amazon...one of my favorite genres while waiting were the ones which tell stories like "Love in the Driest Season: a family Memoir" and anthologies like "Born in our hearts: stories of adoptions" you can get really depressed when you are only reading about attachment issues and the realities of the struggles of interracial families- and so even though those topics are necessary and important and helpful- in order to stay excited - its great to read about all of the positive things as well...my friend told me that and gave me some books which were great.

Amy said...

Those are all wonderful ideas! I especially love the idea to have his caregivers sing and to record the sounds of the orphanage. That's just beautiful.

I don't know about any books on adoption, but while I'm thinking about it, I have LOVED the Signing Time dvd series which teaches American Sign Language to babies and young children. We taught both our boys, and Maryann taught Owen, too, and it has been wonderful! We were able to really communicate with the boys long before they could talk. And when they did start talking, we could tell what they were saying, because they signed along with it. There are lots of sign language books and dvd's, but Signing Time is hosted by the mother of a girl who is deaf, along with the little girl herself and her cousin. And it's not annoying! That's always my first criteria ;)