Thursday, July 10, 2008

Money, money, money....

My second interview is over! :) One more and my homestudy will be complete. I just got my Dossier checklist from my agency in the mail today too. I don't understand why notarized isn't enough, but for EVERY document I have they have to be CERTIFIED by the state they originated in. Hmmm... that stinks! Now I have to collect the following: an adoption petition (a letter saying I want to adopt), an original birth certificate, an original divorce decree, a criminal clearance report from my local police, an employment verification letter from DPS, a notarized/certified letter from my doctor saying I'm in good enough health to raise a child, a letter from my bank, copies of the last 3 years of my tax returns, proof of medical insurance, proof of medical insurance for my adopted child, three notarized letters of reference, three notarized letters of power of attorney, and 8 passport photos of me. All of the above have to be certified and notarized. Certified means that I have to take the notarized document to the secretary of state (to the state that it was notarized in) and they have to certify the document? Wha?? Yes. What a pain in the buttocks! Ugh.

But my interview was fun. We talked a lot about my childhood and who I am. Easy. We will do the "home inspection" next time. I am getting a new refrigerator tomorrow. So the home inspection will give me motivation to clean and organize the "junk room." One week... can I do it?

I also looked at new kitchen cabinets today. Some are very very pretty. And very very expensive. On one hand, if I'm spending all the money to redo the kitchen I should use good materials. On the other, I'm spending all my money on redoing the kitchen and don't have much extra for the materials. It's an odd place to be!

I'm still working on securing my loan. I have two possible places. It's hard to guesstimate how much I'll need for the remodel, adoption, and travel to Ethiopia. Hmmm...

2 comments:

JAKE said...

How crazy is all of this???

A kitchen, a refrigerator, AND a baby?!?!?!?

I know how much you've wanted this for so long and I give you huge credit for deciding to go ahead with the whole adoption thing. Your perseverance is amazing. Anybody else would have given up after your struggles, but you just have a way of making things happen!

Do you think the baby will be here soon enough to play Achille in Paganini? Might as well start him in the theatre as early as possible...

Can't wait to read the next post!

JAKE

Shawn said...

The certified part is really no big deal. One word of advice - try to get all of your documents from Colorado if possible (obviously some you have no control over, I don't know where you were born or divorced; but try to get all of your references from people in CO if possible). But if you can get most of your docs from Colorado then you only have to take those docs down to the Sec of State's office, drop them off, then pick them up the next day. It is super easy.

You probably know this, but for EVERYTHING that gets notarized, make sure: 1. that the notary's commission won't expire in the next 12 months, and 2. that the notary signs his/her name exactly the way it is in his/her notary stamp. If you are on top of this as you go along it will save you headaches later. We had to have our doctor's letters done 3 times because the notary there kept signing wrong.

Shawn