Wednesday, July 23, 2008

scary things

I spent the morning reading all sorts of things online about adoption. From a NY Times article "Surge in Adoptions Raises Concern in Ethiopia" to a blog about transracial adoption http://transracial.adoptionblogs.com/weblogs/the-popularity-of-ethiopia-adoption to several short stories/articles about post-adoption depression -- http://www.melissafaygreene.com/pages/adoption.html. Long stories about those 10% of adoptive families where it is not the glorious love-at-first-site wonderful sun-shining moment when they meet, or bring home their new child. The painful struggles they had for months and sometimes years with an adopted child. It put me in a daze of information. I took a nap this afternoon and dreamed about all the horror stories that I had read. I know that what ever life gives me I will take on with courage and positivity. I have extremely high hopes but I am not naive about the possibilities. It's that risk we all take in life. With internet resources it can all be overwhelming at times. I guess that's what today was... overwhelmed day.

I still feel 100% sure about all this. Tonight I got an email from my SW and she said my homestudy is DONE and will give it to IAN Thursday. Yea! So I need to wrap up the two things I still need for my dossier, and then I can move onto the waiting stage. :)

Oh, and I made Lemon Blueberry Muffins tonight with sweet potato puree. They were excellent. The Chocolate chip cookies with chickpeas-- also, amazing. I'm loving my new cookbook/way to cook.

2 comments:

MOM said...

Kids are scary no matter what. Mommies just roll with the punches and take what comes. I KNOW you will do that, and you will do it with an amazing positive energy.
Chin up love, this feels so right.
( just watched a travel show about Ethiopia...getting excited )

Unknown said...

Hi Shawn,
Just found your blog and wanted to assure you that our experience has been amazing. I know that there have been stories that are really scary but most of those who traveled with us or that I know from our own adoption journey have had pretty great transitions.
Best of luck to you, you will be in our prayers as you take this incredible journey to bring home a child from such a wonderful place!
God bless,
Kristin
www.irishopian.blogspot.com