Sunday, September 14, 2008

Baby Mama

I watched "Baby Mama" today--the film with Tina Fey as a 37 yr old trying to get pregnant and then getting a surrogate to carry her child. And while a comedy, the first 7 minutes of the film were too real. This woman who has dedicated herself to her career for the past 15 years while others were having babies and then waking up at 37 and realizing she WANTS a child and since she's single to do it alone. She goes through infertility treatments with her doctor telling her, "I just don't like your uterus." When questioned about adoption she answers it will take 3 years and her family asks her to please not bring home a "black baby like Angelina." And her mother saying that not everyone will be as supportive of her alternative life style-- in which Tina responds, being single isn't an alternative life style. Funny, huh? Not to me... too real. Of course the film ends with her falling in love with a hot man and ending up pregnant... Not following through with the adoption. There is one moment when the baby she has been planning on welcoming into her life doesn't happen and I cried-- she didn't, but I did. Investing in adoption is tough. Tougher than many think before going through it. Yesterday I started to investigate Kazakhstan adoptions because of the scare of shutting down single women adoptions in Ethiopia. You have to stay in country for up to 60 days to adopt from there. There are many more hoops to jump through. I'm waiting to hear from my agency to see how real the threat of shutting down will be and if I should start investigating new countries... we will see...

2 comments:

Amy said...

Wow, Shawn. What a roller coaster! In the words of the fish philosopher Dory ;) "Just keep swimming!" Thanks for keeping us posted... Love you.

Shawn said...

Stay strong and keep your head up. There have been rumors about ET closing to singles for a long time. If you get your stuff in soon you should be fine. Kaz is really really really tough right now for a zillion reasons, but I have a close friend who just came home from there, if you'd like to talk to her I can put you in touch. Email me if you want more info.

Shawn