Thursday, October 23, 2008

"You should blog about that Ms Hann"

Getting lots of emails about the scary status of adoptions in Ethiopia. Turns out that some US and European people who have adopted in the past have not been culturally sensitive. Therefore the Joint Council on International Children's Services has put together some guidelines or principles for intercountry adoptions. It is just worrisome that for whatever reasons the country could suddenly decide not to grant adoptions any longer. I am to study up more on Ethiopian culture and modern traditions especially when it comes to child rearing. I will follow through with that. I for one cannot imagine adopting a child from another country and ignoring their heritage. To celebrate culture--including the history, music, art, theatre, architecture, celebrations, and traditions is what makes life fulfilling, rich, and interesting. There are other principles about staying in a guest house vs hotel in while in Ethiopia and not touring in public with the child. I understand that and I was planning on staying at a guest house. It is all very interesting. I need to FINISH the dossier and get in line ASAP.

1 comment:

Zanne said...

I just read the entire blog - it was more interesting and exciting than any book I have read recently. Good luck and my prayers are with you and this journey. This WILL happen for you!!!