Saturday, October 11, 2008

2nd adoption class

Maybe it was because I have so much on my plate right now, but today's adoption class was tough to sit still. I open my fall play on Thursday and we are in the crunch of painting the set, tightening the pace of the show, and still figuring out motivations and through lines of the plot. It is a crazy farce show which is more difficult than I anticipated. But I am very excited about an audience finally seeing this. The class... I don't even know what it was about. I guess the right language to use when talking about adoption. Not "real" mother, but birth mother. Not IS adopted, but WAS adopted as it is a ONE time event. Things like that. And then exploring the fact that our kids will come with baggage that might be seen in things like grief, loss, intimacy, guilt and shame. A little bit about celebrating the culture of our children. And financial planning. Maybe it is the teacher in me and knowing that sitting for 4 1/2 hours and having no real interaction is not an effective way to learn. Maybe it is because I took HOURS of education classes and child development classes to become a teacher. But I didn't learn anything new today. I really felt like it was common sense. Hmmm...

2 comments:

The Barr Family said...

It is amazing that it was 3 years ago that we sat through that same class and wow- its the same- language, development etc. I remember thinking the same thing about my training as a PNP- that I could teach that class. I am sorry about your recent troubles with paperwork- I find - if its not one thing - then its another. What happened to you should not have happened and if it did then they need better directions- that is something that should have been spelled out to you. So are you now officially on the list??? WOW!!!!

Shawn said...

I found all of those classes to be pretty much a waste of time. The only good thing was meeting other families who were going through the process, and the 30 minutes we got to spend talking to each other at lunch. You'll get through it, but it is painful.

Sorry to hear about your dossier too. I remember those days so well, it seemed like there was always something to fix or something missing. But that too will pass. You're getting really close!

The Other Shawn