Saturday, August 23, 2008

First "parent training class"

Wow-- five hours is a long time to sit and listen. Especially about trauma/learning disabilities/fetal alcohol syndrome.... and everything else in the world that could be wrong with my child. I think since this is session 2, session 1 MUST be more positive-- it's just that I haven't been to that one yet. I also overheard another parent (who has several adopted children) talking over break, they said that 98% of the people in this room will get children like that-- gesturing to the board of learning disabled/traumatized children and that we need to accept that our children won't be like other children. And I get that. There is a chance with every child. There are good parents and bad. There are people who want to devote special playing time with their children every day. And there are those who don't. I don't think anyone goes into adoption lightly. This is a lot of work and time and money and struggle. I guess I just keep repeating the same thing I've said to people who worry about the "type" of child I will get-- life gives us all sorts of things, we deal with it as we can. I am a positive person with love to give to a child. I think that is the bottom line. I will deal with the issues and problems as they arise to the best of my ability. I will be educated going in as well. Hmmm.... I'm still happy. I am still on the right path for my life. Yesterday I imagined life in my house besides my kitties and dog. I can't wait.

No comments: